Health & Safety
Artichoke Festival Clear Bag Policy
NOW IN EFFECT FOR 2022
ALL BAGS SUBJECT TO SEARCH UPON ENTRY INTO THE ARTICHOKE FESTIVAL
To provide a safer environment for our fans, the Artichoke Festival has implemented a clear bag policy that limits the size and type of bags that may be brought into the Festival grounds. We strongly encourage fans to not bring any type of bags, but outlined below is what is permissible.
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12.”
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc bag or similar).
- Small clutch bags, approximately the size of a hand, with or without a handle or strap can be taken into the Festival grounds with one of the clear plastic bags.
- An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection.
- For your convenience, Artichoke Festival branded clear plastic tote bags are available for purchase on-site at our souvenir booth. You can also purchase a non-branded clear bag in various places, like Amazon.
Click here to view the full policy, with approved and non-approved bags and an FAQ.
HEALTH & SAFETY AT THE ARTICHOKE FESTIVAL
After a challenging two years filled with a lot of uncertainty, we share much joy in being able to share and celebrate the Artichoke Festival with our fans.
We ask that all guests be prepared to follow public safety guidance posted at the event and on this website. All guests will be required to comply with current CDC, California Dept of Public Health and Monterey County public health guidelines regarding COVID-19 vaccination, pre-entry tests, and social distancing posted at the time of the event. The Artichoke Festival Committee encourages all guests to get vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as they are eligible.
The Artichoke Festival admissions team will have masks available for guests passing through the Admissions gate who wish to have one.
To add yet another layer of protection for you and the community, it is strongly recommend attendees sign-up for CA Notify to receive alerts when you have been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
We look forward to working together to enjoy a stronger California!
As always, we still recommend that those guests with weakened immunity should wear a mask regardless of vaccination status. Please stay home if you are sick or have been around anyone who has been sick. If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone who tested positive or experienced COVID-19 symptoms in the last 14 days, we ask that you do not attend this event.
While no longer required, wearing masks when in a crowded situation or around those you do not know is strongly recommended. Monterey County encourages all residents to continue best safety practices to safeguard their health and the health of others, particularly as we hear reports of a new COVID-19 variant spreading.
For the safest most efficient protection, Festival guests who bring their own face covering should avoid the following:
- Face shields alone (face shields accompanying a face covering will be allowed)
- Any covering that does not fit securely on the face and over the nose and mouth
- Any face covering that is vented or has an exhaust port
- Any plastic transparent face or mouth guard/covering
- Any face covering that has explicit or inappropriate imagery or language
Numerous hand sanitizer stations will be placed throughout the Festival grounds. Guests, volunteers, vendors and staff are encouraged to sanitize and wash their hands frequently.
The Artichoke Festival highly encourages touchless admissions at the gate for 2022. Guests may use major credit cards and debit cards, and cash purchases are still allowed.
Concessions and Vendor Purchases
Concession stands will be available for guests to walk-up and purchase food and drink. Please observe all posted signage regarding safe food handling and queue management.
The Festival does not direct non-Festival owned vendors regarding the purchase of goods, however many, but not all of these vendors will be able to take debit or credit cards for purchases. ATM machines will be available for obtaining cash from debit/credit cards.
Feeling Sick, Please Stay Home – COVID-19 Safety
We ask that all guests be socially responsible and respectful of those who may have weakened immunity. If you or anyone you have been around are experiencing any of the following symptoms of COVID-19 as identified by the CDC at CDC.gov, please stay home:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Not tested positive for COVID-19 or experienced COVID019 symptoms in the last 14 days
- Not been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or experienced COVID-19 symptoms [in the last 14 days] or [without completing a 14-day quarantine]
We take security and safety at the Artichoke Festival seriously and hope you will help us in our collective effort in following all measures. Our security protocols, including the bag check policy and prohibited items list, were created to protect everyone, including guests, staff, volunteers, vendors, sponsors, and performing artists. We appreciate your cooperation in helping us make the Artichoke Festival the safest experience possible for everyone.
The following items are PROHIBITED on Festival grounds:
- Guns, knives, mace/pepper spray/stream, or any items that could be considered or used as weapons
- Alcohol, illegal substances or cannabis products in any form
- Bottles, cans or hard-sided containers
- Non-factory sealed plastic bottles (permitted if empty)
- Ice chests or coolers
- Outside food and beverage (unless for medical reasons)
- Pets other than approved service animals
- Grills, charcoal and flammable liquids
- Tents, tables and large shade umbrellas
- Fireworks, firecrackers
- Unmanned aerial vehicles
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters, skates/rollerblades and Segways
- Any other items deemed dangerous or inappropriate by Artichoke Festival personnel
At the Festival
On-site, all-day parking will be available on Fairground Rd., (free, first come-first served), and in pay-to-park lots on either end of the Festival grounds. The East parking lot off Airport Rd., through Gate 8, is General Parking. The golf course lot, off Garden Rd. on the West end of the Festival grounds is Premium Parking. There will also be additional Premium Parking in the Arena, accessed through Gate 6 off Fairground Rd. VIP Pass and Sponsors’ vehicles will be directed to the West end golf course lot off Garden Rd.
A shuttle is available for Festival guests from the East parking lot (Gate 8) to an additional shuttle-only admissions booth at the back of the Festival grounds. Parking gates will open 30 minutes before the event. Parking passes can be purchased online or with cash. Find more info about parking and directions.
Upon arrival, please be aware of posted signage and markers that have been displayed to help educate and prepare guests as they enter the Festival. All security lanes will be marked. At entry gates, Festival staff will share policies and request verbal acknowledgement prior to entry. Gates will open for guests at 10:00AM both days of the event.
Signage and Guidelines
Safety signage, including visual and verbal reminders of directional flow, safety, and guidelines, must be adhered to while visiting the Artichoke Festival. Failure to comply with posted or verbal guidelines may result in ejection from the Festival grounds.
Touchless Admissions Encouraged
The Artichoke Festival highly encourages touchless admissions at the gate for 2022. Guests may use major credit cards and debit cards. A cash-only line will be available for those who cannot use a debit or credit card.
A Festival Souvenir booth will be open during the event for Festival guests.
Food and Beverage Concessions
Festival Concession Booths and other food vendors will be available for guests to walk up and purchase food and drink while maintaining physical distance at the event. The Festival does not direct non-Festival owned vendors regarding the purchase of goods, however many, but not all of these vendors will be able to take debit or credit cards for purchases. ATM machines will be available for obtaining cash from debit/credit cards. No cans or glass bottles will be allowed. Please note: due to California guidelines, all water fountains will be closed, please plan accordingly.
Festival Grounds Sanitization
Enhanced sanitization protocols are in place for the 2022 Artichoke Festival, including routinely sanitizing and cleaning high-traffic areas.
Volunteer and staff are required to provide contact tracing information, and will be apprised of the latest safety and health guidelines prior to the start of the event.
Code of Conduct
The Artichoke Festival is a family-oriented event, and all who attend are expected to conduct themselves accordingly with respect and consideration toward each other. Those who cannot comply risk being removed for the remainder of the event. There will be no refunds to the guest for any such removal. The following activities or behaviors are prohibited:
- Bullying or aggressive horseplay, fighting, throwing objects, or intimidating behavior toward other guests, volunteers, or staff will NOT be tolerated.
- Disruptive profanity, and threatening or vulgar clothing, language or signs.
- Any act defined by federal, state, or local stature or ordinances as constituting a crime, including damage, destruction, theft, or vandalism.
- Inappropriate attire: shoes and shirts are always required at the Artichoke Festival.
- Smoking of tobacco, e-cigarettes, vaporizers, or other similar products that produce smoke or vapor anywhere other than the designated area(s).
- Failure to maintain proper control of an authorized service animal.
- Failure to follow the direction or reasonable requests of Artichoke Festival personnel.
- Solicitation including the selling and/or distribution of materials of any kind.
- Guests entering the Artichoke Festival grounds grant unrestricted rights and licenses to promoters, facility management and all other entities associated with the Artichoke Festival or Monterey County Fair or their respective agents to guests’ likeness in any broadcast, telecast, photograph taken or other transmission or reproduction in connection with the event.
- Castroville Artichoke Festival, Inc. reserves the right to determine what activities constitute violations of this Code of Conduct and to take any and all actions permitted by applicable law, including without limitation removal and prosecution.
The novel coronavirus, COVID-19, has been declared a worldwide pandemic by the World Health Organization. COVID-19 is contagious. The virus is believed to spread from person-to-person contact and/or by contact with contaminated surfaces and objects, and even possibly in the air. Evidence has shown that COVID-19 can cause serious and potentially life threatening illness and even death. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any place where people gather. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death.
By purchasing a ticket, you assume all risks, hazards, and dangers arising from or relating in any way to the risk of contracting COVID-19 or any other communicable disease or illness, or a bacteria, virus or other pathogen capable of causing a communicable disease or illness, whether occurring before, during, or after the event, however caused or contracted, and voluntarily waive all claims and potential claims against the City and County of Monterey, state of California, the Artichoke Festival Organizers, and their affiliated companies relating to such risks.
You expressly agree to comply with all Federal, State, and Local laws, ordinance, regulations, and the rules of the Event Organizers when attending the event.CDC Guidelines